Tuesday 16 June 2009

Technology defeated me. Whilst at Chelsea I thought that the updates and "tweets" from my mobile would be published on this Blog; however they never appeared and it seemed like to much effort to add the information retrospectively. So, we'll start again. Our work for Chelsea 2010 has already started so I will drop in the occassional note about progress. In May I was featured in Home and Garden, for a Steel pergola I designed, oh about 3 yrs ago. Its really strange that something that I thought a decent idea has come back again and is only now getting some attention. This month, the Chelsea Show garden is featured on the cover of the Garden design Journal. Not a particularly popular rag, but the Journal of the Society of Garden Designers. Sometimes you dont know what your ambitions are until you achieve them! I have put a link to the Society of Garden Designers on my front page, although the Journal is only mentioned in passing on their site (click on the SGD Logo).
Concept design work has just about finished on two small gardens and subject to final approval from the clients, I hope to start work on the detail design this week. I will add pictures as work progresses.
Three new clients visited over the last few days. It is difficult at this time of year to manage expectations. The weather, Chelsea, thoughts of holidays seem to incline people towards their gardens. Its the best time to be out in it, but it is not the best time to want to change it. We get many calls from people who must have their garden ready for the end of July or August at the latest. It is difficult to apply common sense when their desire is so strong. That the design can take several weeks, that identifying and getting a contractor to visit and cost even longer. The dream of a new garden in time for the next slot of prolonged sunshine suddenly starts heading to the horizon and the enthusiasm is replaced by resentment for daring to crush their dream. Which is not what we are about, garden designers are "dream makers" we try to make real what people want and what they didn't know they wanted. But we have to be realistic. Decisions made in haste make waste.
I came across the work of Angela Palmer (sculptor) yesterday. She uses layered glass with "slices" of images to create almost 3D sketches of her subjects. I really like the layering of materials, its a very theatrical technique and probably the one I use most in my work. Thomas Heatherwick uses it brilliantly in things like the Longchamp store entrance and his beach cafe. It also reminds me of architectural models where contours are achieved with slices of materials.
I will start to record my influences, inspirations and generally just the things I like; whether design work, literature, film, food or web. And I will post several times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment