Tuesday 1 June 2010

sketchup and rapid prototyping

The fourth of my articles for the Garden Design Journal is about to be published. No. 3 was on water pumps on this one is a companion piece on filters. I was trying to put myself in the position of wanting to specify a pump and filter but being ignorant of where to start. Its not simple and I hope it comes somewhere close. Ive noticed that a few of the larger pump manufacturers even have apps that will help direct you to a product.. I have yet to try one of these, lacking as I do a smart phone..
The article for the July issue will be on Rapid Prototyping. RP as it is commonly called involves the creation of a model/ prototype directly from CAD data, eg from a 3D modelling packaging, such as SketchUp or Vectorworks. Simplistically a CAD model is saved as a certain type of file (IGES or STL for those who are interested) and emailed to a provider of prototype services, you get a quote back (usually very quickly) and if acceptable a model in the post, typically within a week. The process is relatively simple for “products” such as a new mobile phone, PC, mouse, gadget etc where the part/s being produced are actual size. But for a garden we need to scale the space down so that it will fit onto the RP machine. This scaling can cause problems; in addition plants cannot be modelled, except in a very stylised fashion. In the article I compare the results of 3 of the most popular RP systems however what is omitted is how to get your CAD model into a format that can be read by the RP machines. This could be the subject of an entire article and has been covered to some extent by others. I am happy to discuss how I do this ..but send me a mail (info@paulhensey.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment